Happy New Year 2008

My workshop was in full tilt mode leading up to Christmas finishing my gift list. I finished my last gift project late on Christmas Eve, more on that later. We took a few days off to celebrate with the family and it was all great. All my woodcraft gifts seemed to be very appreciated and I will post the individual projects.

Two big events happened for the shop. The first was a good find I made at our local Hallmark store that was closing down. The store was selling everything including their fixtures. I spotted some double drawer cabinet units that were selling for $10 a piece. I immediately thought if I stacked them 3 high I could use them to build a pretty nice workbench with lots of very needed storage space, not to mention some badly needed bench top area. So I bought 6 units for the grand total of $60 bucks and started designing and building the work benches (yes I decided to build two benches from the cabinets). One is nearing a state of completeness and the second is a little behind. I will post an update on the benches later.

The second really big news for the shop was a really very cool Christmas gift my Wife gave me. She gave me an Incra Lead Screw Router Table Fence System from Rockler. I had no idea I was getting such a wonderful gift from my Wife! I haven't even had close enough time to set it up on y router table but looking over the included documentation I am blown away with the capabilities to make amazing joinery with the system. Looks like there will be a learning curve on using it but you can be sure I will updating on this tool in the future. I also got a few other very useful stuff including some more clamps (you can never have too many clamps).

So I am hard at work building my benches and working on organizing the workshop getting ready for what I think will be a great 2008 wood crafting year for me!


Comments

Popular Posts